Never Enough Time

Summers aren't supposed to be this busy

It's July and, being a teacher, I don't go to work any day of the week. Thankfully, I am in a position where I don't have to pick up a summer job - a benefit many of my teaching brethren do not share. But, for some reason, I cannot get on to blog or even get enough time to sort my cards. Why?

1. Master's Degree

This is my own fault, and I am the first to admit to that. I decided a few months ago to pursue my Master's Degree in elementary education. Having finished an online program from an accredited college to obtain my license, it is a three-class continuation. So, I have a total of three classes to take by the end of the year and I will have a Master's Degree. This won't guarantee me an immediate pay bump, but it is relieving me of 45 hours of professional development.

2. Married Life

Many of us in the hobby are in this boat. We are middle-aged and have a wife at home. I have an amazing wife who does many amazing things. But, telling her I'm going to the basement to sort thousands of baseball cards is greeted with a chuckle or eye roll. It's not that she minds me doing it, but there are also a million other things I do need to get done. In addition, my wife is working from home two or more days per week, which makes it difficult to sneak to the cardboard pile.

3. Children

An extension of married life is children. My 17-year-old daughter doesn't require much of my time. She has a car, a job and a boyfriend. Dad is more of a nuisance than anything. My 11-year-old son is different. He can fend for himself in a lot of things, but driving him to and from summer school each morning takes its toll. Trying to do fun things with him (and sister, when she makes time for dad) is a time drainer - a fun one, but one that takes away from my cardboard fix.

4. Everyone Seems to be Doing Something

This family member has a barbecue. This friend is having friends over for drinks. This person is getting married. That person is doing ... you get the picture. There are a million things going on in the summer. Kids are out of school and I have many teacher friends. Every Friday, Saturday or Sunday seems to be full of something.

5. Vacation

OK, I could handle a week away from my baseball cards for a trip to Los Angeles. Dodger Stadium is a gem - although you can tell it is getting dated. I was unable to sneak a trip to Anaheim, but between Disney, Universal, the redwoods and so on, it was nine days away from my cardboard - and a fun nine days at that.
On another note, a buddy and I are hopping in his car this weekend to visit Comerica Park. The surprise: TOPPS BASEBALL CARD GIVEAWAY! I am assuming it's the Series 1 team set, but getting wax while taking a weekend baseball road trip is perfect.

6. Laziness

This one is all on me. I admit, having no reason to wake up and hop in the shower at 6 a.m. gives me no incentive to get up at 6 a.m. and get in the shower. It's summer break, and I don't mind sleeping (A LOT!).

7. Bad Back

OK, don't ask me what the exact diagnosis is. My chiropractor and physical therapist say I have a minor shift in a vertebra that is causing a pinched nerve. The "spinal expert" who wants my money is saying it's a bulging disc. Either way, there are stretches - and now an inversion table - that need to get done every day. It's hard to sort cards while hanging upside down for 10 minutes.

In the end, I will have time to sort my cards and blog more. It doesn't have to happen this summer. They hid in my basement for the 13 years I've lived in this house, so what's another year or two, right?


Side Notes

* I have made a couple of trades via Twitter this summer. By far, my favorite has to be the one bringing me a Jose Canseco and Mark McGwire rookie. They are cards I've wanted since I was a Bash Brothers fan boy back in middle school.
My favorite part about this trade was its simplicity. The person trading these cards wanted nothing more than some of my 1964 Topps coins to finish his set. I offered him much more because, well, I don't need it. Neither of us probably know who won this trade, and who cares? We each got something we wanted out of it and are happy people. This is the way trades should work. I don't want to spend hours comparing prices to make things work.
It should be a matter of "I want this," with an "OK, I'll take that" response. That's how trading works - at least for us collectors not seeking a big payday.

* I am considering some giveaways. I'm not really sure what yet, but it won't be anything amazing. My thoughts are to give away collections of junk wax - probably 100 at a time. I have a couple 90s or 80s packs, so I may recreate the Walgreen's repack boxes I keep buying. I'll keep you posted when those other excuses don't get in my way.

Comments

  1. blogging take a ton of time. People that don't do it think we spend ten minutes on it and that's it. I'm with you, I have a family and it's tough at times. Hopefully things will calm for you soon!

    I'm also with you on the back. Back issues are no joke. I hope you get some relief soon.

    -kin
    beansballcardblog.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I love getting free stuff

Welcome Back

Another Goodwill Find!