My first collecting memory

Jaime Cocanower?


We all have that card that got us into collecting. For some, it was their favorite player. In my childhood, guys like Don Mattingly, Kirby Puckett, Mike Schmidt and, in Milwaukee, Robin Yount.
Robin Yount was a big part of my collecting days. Growing up in Wisconsin (Milwaukee since I was 4), the Brewers were kings. Robin Yount, Paul Molitor and Jim Gantner were a trio those of us in our 40s remember most. 
But one player - one little-known player - holds one of my dearest collecting memories: Jaime Cocanower. I can already hear a resounding round of "who?" echoing through the Internet. To save you the hassle, here's his Baseball Reference page. For those of you who don't want to click over, here's a recap of his career: 79 games (47 starts), 16-25 record, 3.99 ERA and 139 strikeouts in four Major League seasons with the Milwaukee Brewers (1983-86).


So, I am sure the next questions is, "Why him?" Well, let me tell you.
In my childhood, I would spend at least a week - sometimes two - visiting my grandparents in western Wisconsin (Wilton, for anyone who may be familiar - but most of you aren't). Grandpa would often send me off to the corner store with money to bring him back a pack of cigarettes, and it always came with some extra money for candy. Well, as a 9-year-old in 1986, one day I decided to buy a pack of Topps baseball cards. I sort of liked baseball at the time, and they came with gum! I honestly cannot tell you another player in that first pack, but I am certain Jaime Cocanower was in that pack. My first pack of baseball cards included a Milwaukee Brewer. It wasn't Yount. It wasn't Molitor. It wasn't Gantner - or anyone else I was remotely familiar with at the time. But I got a Brewer!
I am sure we all have that card. It holds little to no value to anyone other than common cards to fill out a set or buffer cards for shipping something more important. But my Jaime Cocanower will always be special.
I posted the card on Twitter, and a follower was kind enough to send me Cocanower's address for an autograph. So, that bad boy is going off to get signed. 
I'd love to hear what the most priceless (read: zero value) card in your collection that will always hold something special in your heart. Feel free to comment or reach out on Twitter (@DmikeCollecting).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I love getting free stuff

Another Goodwill Find!

Trades, winnings and purchasing ... OH MY